Microsoft Outlook Express application is an email client which is included with Internet Explorer 6.0, 4.0 and various versions of Windows. Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express both are different applications. Files stored in Outlook Express are in DBX format and is stored in the hard disk with the same file name having extension .dbx. Except email messages, DBX files of Outlook Express also contains news group, address book, contacts, notes, etc. DBX files can get corrupted which can lead to loss of important data. Outlook Express application is mostly used in organizations and they cannot afford to lose such important data files.
Want to convert DBX files into Outlook (PST)? Read – How to Convert DBX Files into PST Format?
Corruption occurs due to abrupt system shout down, virus attacks, software and hardware malfunctions and many other reasons. You may get an error message if you try to open corrupted DBX file. Error messages may include:
Unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP Port: 0 Secure: No [SSL] Error: 0x800c131
MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module Msoe.dll
MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module Directdb.dll
Outlook Express: The message could not be sent. There is not enough disk space.
MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module “unknown”
MSIMN caused an exception C0000006h in module Directdb.dll.
You can repair DBX files by executing a manual process. Before starting the execution, you need to find and locate corrupt DBX files. You can find the location by using Registry Editor. Steps to find the location are:
- Click Start + R. Type regedit and click Enter
- Registry Editor window will appear. Expand the folders in left panel: HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Identities>XYZ>Software>Microsoft>Outlook Express>5.0
- On the right panel, navigate to Store Root and double click. You will get the path of DBX files, copy the path.
After copying the path, move the mailbox files by following the below steps:
- Close Outlook Express application.
- On Windows directory, paste the copied path and click Enter.
- Copy and Move the .dbx files to new location and delete the files from original location.
Now, you have to import DBX files to Outlook Express. To perform Import function, follow the given steps:
- Open Outlook Express application. Click File tab > Import
- Outlook Express Import window will appear. Choose the version of Outlook Express according to the files and click Next. Note: you can choose Outlook Express 6.
- Browse to choose the location where you have saved the files and click Next.
- Choose all the data files (folders and sub folders) which you need to import and click Next.
Open Outlook Express and again access your mailbox folder. While executing this above process, you should not make any changes to Registry Editor. It should not be modified as it can damage your file. This manual technique is feasible to deal with minor or moderate corruptions but it is quite time-consuming. It doesn’t work in case of severe corruptions.
If your file is severely corrupted and it is not fixed by executing the above solution, then you need to use third party recovery software. Recovery software repairs DBX files even if it is highly corrupted. It recovers data from corrupted DBX files without modifying original data file. One such software is DBX Recovery v2.0 program from SysInfoTools. It is compatible with all the versions of Outlook Express application. It recovers data in no time and gives you the option to save the recovered data in five different formats including EML, RTF, MSG, PST and DBX. To get more details, you can install and run trial version on your system as it is a freeware.